Friday, June 10, 2005

The Most Important Things I've Learned About Having An Online Business

When you have an online business one of the
things you read from almost every "guru" is that
"You Must Have A List". They may not tell you
how to get one, what to write to them or how
often to send messages but they do stress that
you must build one.

Well guess what? They are absolutely, positively,
100% right. You do need a list.

So what's one of the most important things I've
learned?

It's not that you need a list - already knew that.

It's not that they are potential customers - already
knew that too.

It's not that they are regular people - since
everyone is different, I'm not sure what a
regular person is.

One of the most important things I've learned is:

Be yourself and have a list of friends who
share a common interest and desire. Friends
who not only take the time to listen to you
but who also spend the time to reply to
your messages and requests. Friends who
not only want your advice but who are also
willing to give you theirs. Friends who want
to get together and spend some time with
each other.

To prove my point here's how my list
responded to recent request for some
assistance with a local fund raiser.

First, I'll tell you that my list is aimed at those
doing internet marketing. Every "guru" will
tell you that a list of internet marketers is a
hard list to sell to because either they've seen
it all or else they're new and probably
experiencing information overload.

With that in mind, here's what happened:

Not knowing how well my list would respond to
a request to purchase raffle tickets for a local
fund raiser, I asked them if they would be
interested. Then I waited, fearing the worst
that either no one would respond or they would
unsubscribe because supporting a local fund
raiser is not exactly "professional internet
marketing" material. Also, there would have to
be a great deal of trust on their part since I
would be the one with the tickets.

I can't describe the feeling I got when the votes
started coming in. Most voted they would help
support my local fund raiser and many of those
who voted "no" offered an apology and
explanation of why they couldn't. (And believe
me, I totally understand being overwhelmed
with your own fund raisers. That's why I took
a leap of faith and did the poll.)

Now before you start thinking that the
subscribers who voted "yes" all lived in
surrounding areas, I'll tell you that they
don't. The closest one lives around 100
miles away in a town that has a group that
competes with the local group I was
supporting. (Thanks again Darell.) The rest
are from other states and countries (Thanks
again Gaida, I think your home in Australia is
the furthest away.).

Because of the responses to the poll, I
set up a page to sell the tickets the day I
got them and sent a short email telling
everyone that the sale of the raffle tickets
was starting and where they could get them.
The message went out late Friday afternoon
which is suppose to be the worst time to email
your list.

Within a few hours I was receiving PayPal
receipts for ticket purchases!!!

Will I sell $384,297 worth of raffle tickets?

NO, my list isn't that large.

I will sell enough to help support our local
swim team with more funds than I could
afford on my own and that was the goal.

To sum up this long story, here are the
important things to remember:
  • Build a list.
  • Build a trusting relationship with your list.
  • Ask them what they want or need.
  • Give them what they want and need.

These 4 things are the most important
things to remember with ALL online businesses.

Susan Carroll
http://www.friendswhocare.us
http://www.friendswhocare.us/hurricane.htm

PS - My subscribers are the best group of
friends anyone could ask for and knowing
them is the truly the greatest reward of

my business.

No comments: